Connecting students to careers, Professionals to Communities, and Communities to better health.
To enhance access to quality health care, particularly primary and preventive care by growing and supporting Missouri’s health care workforce.
What can you do to explore a health career?
- Participate in AHEC activities.
- If available at your school, take Project Lead the Way Biomedical Classes.
- If available at your school, participate in your local HOSA.
- Interview or job shadow health professionals.
- Volunteer at hospitals or nursing homes.
- Enhance your math and science skills.
- Learn to communicate well with others face to face.
- Improve your interprofessional skills.
What can you do to help your student interested in a health career?
- Challenge your student.
- Encourage them to work hard and pursue their goals.
- Help them find opportunities.
- Help them find scholarships.
- Attend college visits with them.
- Make sure they are keeping track of their experiences.
How can you help students prepare for health careers?
- Allow job shadowing or interviews about your health careers.
- Sign up to be a clinical preceptor in your region.
- Invite students to appropriate continuing medical education events.
- Mentor clinical training students.
Our Upcoming Events & Activities
Recent News & Announcements
Dr. Kenney has participated in AHEC since high school. A native Missourian raised on a farm outside Kirksville where she now practices. “I feel like everyone should have good care, and it should be available and not something that is granted only to people in urban areas.”
Lyndsey Arnold Bailey attended PRIMO academies in high school student and was in the first ACES class. She is a graduate of MWSU and has worked in home health, hospice, labor and delivery and pain management. Lyndsey assists AHEC in promoting nursing.
Dr. Garner graduated from UMKC and has extensive experience in his field.
“Being a 14-year-old having to go to school with broken front teeth caused me self- consciousness. Undergoing successful dental treatment, I developed the desire to pursue a career in dentistry.”
Health Career Participants
Get In Touch
Location: 800 W. Jefferson Street
Kirksville, MO 63501
Hours: M-F: 9am – 5pm